Co. Roscommon Historical & Archaeological Society Journal Vol.13 (2016)


The Co. Roscommon Historical and Archaeological Society Journal is a fascinating collection of articles devoted to the study of Roscommon’s past, both modern and ancient. With topics ranging from archaeology to history, folklore to heritage, there is something for everybody.

Vol. 13 (2016) includes the following articles:

– 1916 people on front of Journal,
– An interesting pair of images of the Last Judgement from Roscommon and Fuerty,
– Rinn Duin Bee Boles,
– The Demise and Demolition of Mote Park,
– Ending Civil War Bitterness? Frank McDermott and the foundation of the United Ireland Party, September 1933,
– In the footsteps of the noble Gael,
– The Most Famous Irishman of the 19th Century America Patrick Stephen Gilmore,
– An investigation into the formation, activities and impact the Ladies Land League had on Irish History,
– ‘Poor relief in pre-Famine Roscommon: the case of parish vestries’
– Roscommon’s Extraordinary Literacy Heritage,
– Strokestown Poor Law Union 1850-1870,
– Sir William Wilde as Archaeologist,
– Agrarian Violence in Kilbride & Kilgefin 1843-1844,
– The Cadiz Sisters,
​- Castlecoote Boys and Girls N.S. pics,
– Castlereea Water Pum,
– Cloonfree N.S. Strokestown 1950’s,
– The Devenish Family,
– The Life and Times of Dr. John J. Harrison MD 1815-1890,
– Dundonnell Castle, Co. Roscommon,
– Famers March – Roscommon Contingent 13th October 1966,
– Father Plunkett’s Mouments (RO 027-025)
– Gamekeepers in Connacht,
– Langtree: Ancestral Irish Home of the Shera/Sherar Family,
– Marist Brothers’ School – 1966 – Confirmation,
– Muiris Mac Curtáin,
– Remembering Master Moriarty and Castlecoote N.S. in the ’50s,
– Working the margin. The Archaeolgy of the N5 Ballaghadereen Bypass road project,
– Our Society’s 2015 Tour,
– The History of Strokestown’s Houses – part 3,
– Peter Joseph Hayden 1908-1981,
– Evidence for the Clay Pipe Industry in Knockcroghery,
– The aftermath of the burning of Knockcroghery Village,
– Springlawn Wedding,
– The Medieval History of St. Patrick’s Priory, Tulsk,
– The Carmelite House of the Holy Cross, Slewshancogh,
– The placename ‘Elphin’ and the Book ‘Taliesin’,
– Strokestown Macra na Feirme, 1967,
– A Stramboys Suit from Grange, Curraghboy,
– Re-opening of St. Patrick’s National School in 1955,
– Athleague National School 1923,
– Constables of Athlone Castle,
– St. Coman’s Park – Roscommon’s Famous GAA Ground,
– Masters of Carpentry,
– A Holy Trinity Baptismal font from Rahara Medieval parish church,
– Introduction to 1916 Seminar,
– The Backroom Boys of Roscommon,
– The Imagination of an Insurrection: Patrick Pearse and the quest for the ‘authentic’ Ireland,
– 1916 and the Roscommon Country House,
– Did it really matter – Roscommon women and the Easter Rising,
– Brothers in arms: the story of the Neilan brothers and the Easter Rising,
– George Noble Plunkett – Count of the Holy Sepulchre, M.P. for North Roscommon.

2 in stock